Friday, June 12, 2009

Mosquitos LOVE me!!!

Why I don't know, but they love me. Besides berry picking with my mother, this is the most mosquito bites I have had. I have a couple on each foot, a couple on each leg, a couple on my waist, several on my back, 3 or 4 on each shoulder, 3 or 4 on each arm, several on my chest,several on my fingers, several on my toes, etc, etc.
It was kind of funny; when we were coming to Africa and laded in Nairobi, Kenya, there were mosquitoes in the airport, and then when we boarded the plane to go to Kigali, Rwanda; mosquitos got on the plane with us.
It seems like they come out at night (of course). As soon as I get asleep, they start buzzing in my ears. And I start smacking myself in my head trying to kill them. But, no they keep buzzing - AND I CANNOT SLEEP. So I turn on the light to try and kill them and Mike says, "what are you doing?"
And I explain that I cannot sleep. So last night after turning on the light, trying to kill them, and had no success, I tucked the blankets around me like a cocoon, and put a pillow over my head. Within minutes, I couldn't breathe, I made a little hole for my mouth. And then I thought what if the mosquitoes give me lots of bites on my lips and I end up looking like Angelina Jolie, or worse Lisa Rhinna. lol It would be cheaper than botox, I guess. lol!!
Mosquitos are just another thing than Kenya has more of than Rwanda. Kenya has more mosquitoes, more people, more traffic, everything cost more, etc. (Nairobi alone is 3 times the size of Calgary. ) Kenya is no Rwanda, and Rwanda is no Canada. They are just all different with good points and neg. points. it surely opens your eyes, that's for sure.

Thanks Nola for making those calls!
Irakoze likes to build things and sort things. He will sit for an hour taking large leaves and putting small leaves inside. He is very curious.

8 comments:

  1. It was no problem. At least the mosquitos are not as big as house flies. Mosquitos seem to like me also, they say if you wear dark clothes and breath through your mouth you become a large target. Good luck on that one I will try to find something on the internet that might help. Just remember they go after you because you are sweeter than Mike.
    Does Irakoze have bristle blocks,wooden blocks or nesting toys at your house (lethbridge)?

    ReplyDelete
  2. In my research I found mosquitoes like carbon dioxide, lactic acid, perfume(body lotion and nice smelling deodorants except vanilla).
    Some ideas would be to coat yourself in
    1. Eucalyptus oil
    2. Coconut oil
    3. Lime
    4. Vanilla extract.
    5. Make a mixture of flat beer, Epson salts and Mouth wash equal amounts and rub all over your body.
    The ones I would try are the Coconut oil or the vanilla extract at least you will be able to stand the smell. The internet also suggested burning vanilla extract candles because it repells them but be aware the candle emits carbon dioxide which attracts them
    Hope this helps
    Miss you

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nola, Nola, you are a wealth of knowledge!!!!
    Miss you too. :)
    No, he doesn't have any kind of blocks, or anything.
    How are things with you?? Gone camping yet?

    ReplyDelete
  4. went a couple of weeks ago and will be going for fathers day weekend. Things are fine i just got new flooring upstairs and now i feel broke. I have a new little one that will be starting in my dayhome so i am quite excited.
    I told Kevin that we have to go shopping so that i can get a few things for Irakoze. Does he have a lot of books I noticed that stories are read at bedtime.
    Can not wait to have you home. Had the most interesting Saturday a couple of weeks ago. Training a new girl her name is Amy I think you would really like her. It was her second day,she had done one shift at the other store. Keep in mind this was a saturday. Lacy got sick so she went home, Katie called in sick. There was me and Amy to keep the store going from 2 o'clock til close. Amazingly we did it with a decent conversion and a lot of sales. Boy was I tired and feeling my age after that. ENOUGH about work I just had to tell you that. Just so you know that is the last bit of info. from work that you will here.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So... I recently got an email saying that mosquitos can't stand listerine. The article said to spray it in your yard once a week and you won't get mosquitos. It also said to put some on your body and they won't go near you. And besides, then you'd be minty fresh!!!! Can't hurt to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, come on Nola, I'm sure there are many other stories!!!! lol We'll chat when I get home :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey there Daniels! I'm so excited that when God gave me 'May, June' for you in 2007, that it didn't mean 2010 or later! I don't know if you remember that, but it's always been in my heart when you guys have been on my mind! I was at both stores yesterday and felt like a 'heel' when the south store called the mall to do a shoe check for me and when they got off the phone, I asked if they spoke to Marcy. Her response was that you were in Africa. After talking to Deborah G. I remembered the email you guys sent out and went back to revisit the blog. I feel a little silly about all that, and that just goes to show how life takes over!
    So, now I have read all your blogs, and have wiped all the tears of sorrow and joy away. You guys are awesome and Jaxon is the luckiest little boy ever! He's going to think he's in heaven when he sees Marcy's shoe collection but will then have to re-think that once you take him to the store!
    I showed Kale and Ashlin your pictures and they are very happy for you guys! They will be thrilled to meet him.
    I pray that you're blog will be from Canada very soon. Please let us know if there is anything we can do for any of you!
    Love and prayers, Jesy

    ReplyDelete
  8. Marcy my nightly reading is getting repetitive I keep reading the same blog. I am sure I can recite it off by heart and in my sleep. HAHA!!! Hope everything is going alright.
    Miss you.

    ReplyDelete